When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At TML Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call TML Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Boise, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Boise or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 208-488-4892 or schedule an appointment with TML Service Experts through our online scheduler.