Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s likely something wrong with your unit. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—problems down the road. We’re going to help you figure out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that’s alright. A technician can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can come from a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is probably an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your outside unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about frequent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s best to get problems corrected right away. Contacting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfy in any season or climate. Yet, while centralized systems supply a simple way to control the temperature, they in some cases fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with easy and effective upgrades. It’s not only about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Find a Suitable HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more important than selecting the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision influences your daily comfort, monthly utility costs and overall home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading