Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your residence, being cozy in your new room throughout the year is key. However, they can present a unique challenge for heating and cooling. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the increased load, because it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective solutions is to install a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition could be a fantastic solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your room cozier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your energy costs for many years.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than extending ductwork and using your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the precise figure will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become overwhelmed. When your existing heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This may overwork your system and make it wear down more quickly.
- Your comfort might be impacted. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could decrease if your system has to cover a larger space. Your heating and cooling might be less powerful, and your electricity and gas costs could skyrocket due to the system needing to run more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at TML Service Experts, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or longer when correctly maintained. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust TML Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you select the ideal model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, TML Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide support. Reach us at 208-488-4892 today to request a free consultation and estimate.