Winter months in Boise are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace may discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not operating as it should be or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any troubling problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other weird things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its best efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at TML Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 208-488-4892 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.